How A Custom Garage Door Can Add Value to Your Home
There is no better way to add value to your home than by installing a custom garage door. On top of adding to the aesthetic value of your home, custom doors come with extra features that add to the value of your home. Even if you don’t plan to sell your home soon, thinking of a way of increasing its value will pay off in future. This is on top of the fact that many features that add value to a home also serve to increase its functionality and comfort. The garage door is the single largest opening to the home and renovating it will give your home an instant facelift and improve its curb appeal.
A Garage Door for Everyone
The garage door is an important part of our homes. Unfortunately, this is also one of the most neglected areas. People will take care of the interior and often leave the exterior, even though it is the most visible part of the house. When people drive by your home, they will only be able to see the external part of the house. Whether you are using the garage to keep your car, as a personal workshop, or as a playroom for your children, you will want to consider these key features in your garage door:
- A soundproofed garage door will keep out unwanted noise that may be coming in or going out. A good garage door should have in-built soundproofing that helps to dampen any sounds. This may seem unnecessary if you only keep your car in the garage, but the garage door is one of the weakest parts of your house as far as unwanted noise.
- Majority of us keep valuables in the garage. A low-quality doors provide little or no protection, so it is advisable to choose custom garage doors that come fitted with formidable locking mechanisms. These can help to deter burglars and thieves. When someone tries to enter the property, the modern doors have high-tech security features that will hinder any attempts on the garage door.
- Garage doors can be a risk to children. The good thing is that the modern and automated doors come fitted with built-in safety features that minimizes the risk of accidents.
- When you pick the right garage door, this can add to the value of your home. Also, you don’t want to come home to an ugly garage every day – having a garage door you like is important!
Garage Doors Have Come A Long Way
With the continued change in architecture, the idea of garage doors had transformed. As a result of the decrease in available space, many architects found it necessary to move garage doors close to home. They incorporated them as part of the house design. This means they often need to be the same color and style as the rest of the home.
With the expansion of house designs, this has also led to the change in garage designs. There are different kinds of garage and house styles that are sought after such as French, Colonial, Old English and Mediterranean. A popular form of architect was the Craftsman, which came with an open framework, lattices and pergolas. With the garage becoming a huge architectural marvel, there was a need for the garage door to match. This has led to the development of powered garage doors and fancier doors.
Material for Garage Door
The traditional material for the garage door has always being wood. However, this also came with its own disadvantages. Wood is affected by the weather, get warped when exposed to sunshine and rots in the rain. This means that there is a constant need for the periodic maintenance of the wooden door such as re-painting, scraping or even a complete replacement. However, with technological advancement, other materials were invented.
The use of galvanized steel garage door started in the 1970s. The main disadvantage of this material was that it didn’t insulate well like wood. However, if insulation was needed in the door, two pieces were put together and polystyrene insulation was sandwiched between them. This not only kept the house warmer, but it also extended the life of the garage door by a few decades.
Fiberglass was the next material option and consisted of composites such as the resin-filled wood. The vinyl-covered aluminum which looks like the aluminum siding used on many houses was the next option for the garage door materials. With the aluminum siding being used for houses, it was easier to match the garage door with the rest of the house. However, the material could not withstand the rigor of everyday use, and had to be supplemented by fiberglass or other composites.
Today, we have a wide range of materials and designs for garage doors. In fact, you can easily get overwhelmed while trying to make the right choice. The current option of garage doors are so sophisticated to a point that you may not be able to tell if you are looking at the garage door or some custom architectural feature.
Security, Energy & Efficiency
Realtors say that replacing your old garage door with a modern and fresh-looking option can provide some of the highest returns out of your home remodeling options. On top of adding to the aesthetic value of your home, there are several other reasons why a custom garage door can increase the value of your home. These include:
- Security: The technology and features available in a new garage door can add to the security of your home. Many of the modern garage doors come with an opener system that prevents intruders from entering your home or copying the radio signal used to open automatic doors. On top of protecting your home, these security systems will keep your family safe. Many home buyers are also looking for these features. When your remote garage door uses the latest technology, it will appeal to buyers.
- Energy efficiency: When you have an insulated garage door, it is possible to increase the value of your home by 4%. This is on top of the fact that energy insulation can help to keep your energy cost low as it keeps the outside air out of the home and maintains the temperature inside your garage. It is particularly important to insulate garages that are attached to the home. Make sure that you select a garage door that has high energy efficiency.
You might think that buying a custom garage door is as simple as picking a dealer and having them come to install the door. This is not the case. You will need to pick a quality provider who is not only professional but who has a good reputation. You will want to find out if your chosen provider offers a warranty and stands by their words. Here are a few tips that will help you find quality providers of custom garage doors.
- Reputation of the dealer: Make sure that you only deal with a provider with fair prices, positive reviews and great customer service. You can visit their website and go through customer reviews to understand the kind of company you are dealing with. Ask for their references. Do they have knowledgeable and courteous staff? How is their customer service?
- Experience: When searching for a provider of custom garage doors, you will want to consider the period of time that the provider has been in business
- Codes & regulations: If you would like to avoid fines, safety issues and hefty bills for repair, find out if the provider complies with local building standards in Perth.
- Insurance: It is advisable to deal with a dealer of garage doors who has employee and business insurance. Ask the company to provide you with an insurance certificate. If they don’t give you one, this is a warning sign.
It could be that you are preparing to sell your home or simply adding to the beauty and value of your home; scheduling a custom garage door installation is a good decision. Your choice
of style will have an impact on the overall look of your home. If your house has an old or outdated garage door, this could impact the curb appeal of the home.
If you would like to give your home a facelift instantly, you need to consider installing a custom garage door. There are various options to choose from ranging from the steel custom garage door to the lightweight aluminum garage door. You can choose an option that helps to complement the beauty of your home. After the completion of the garage door installation, you will be amazed by the difference that it will bring to your home.
At WA Rollerdoors, we have a wide range of custom garage doors that ranges from the traditional to the modern look. These can help to refresh the look of your property. You can talk to our professional staff and they will be able to advise you on a door that will help to add to the value of your home without compromising on the aesthetic. We will give you an obligation-free quote.